Nestled on the edge of the Everglades in Broward County, the City of Weston has quickly established a unique identity of cultural and ethnic diversity. Within its 15,000 acres of land, a perfect marriage of business and community has been established.
Since its incorporation in 1996, Weston has become one of the biggest-selling planned communities in the nation and is now home to 57,161 residents. As neighborhoods grew, business districts formed in prime locations and leading Fortune 500 companies such as American Express now call Weston home. The combination of major industry with small businesses and shops, gives residents and visitors a "hometown" feel. Arts festivals, concerts and celebrity golf tournaments bring residents and visitors alike together on weekends.
Year 2001 growth highlights include the addition of 1,328 new homes, four hotels, three schools, a world-class hospital, an Amphitheatre, the Town Center, a ten percent per capita crime rate decrease and the building of 871,000 non-residential space. From 1997 through 1999, Broward County exceeded the average Florida per capita income and with seven post secondary educational institutions serving the county, economic growth and quality of local work force should continue. Focusing on the future, Weston continues to support its quality of life by expanding government, technology, education, recreation, community and economic development.
Sustained growth of Weston's business community has been encouraged by the Weston Area Chamber of Commerce, which has become known as the Chamber Without Boundaries. With its launch of three Job Services Web sites, the chamber is truly proving its membership value by meeting local, regional, national and international needs.
Many challenges lie ahead as Florida replaces New York as the third fastest growing state. Broward County is projected to become the fastest growing county by 2020. Weston's past ten-year municipality growth rate reached over 150 percent. Weston has proven it can meet these challenges by blending churches, synagogues, recreational parks, businesses and community centers in an environment focusing on and promoting a strong social and economic infrastructure.
Weston Area "Bragging Points"
- Diverse, educated and affluent community w/strong social infrastructure
- Schools score A's in the state's rating system
- Seven post secondary educational institutions in Broward County
- Crime rate 1/3rd of Broward's and Palm Beach's
- Majority of county residents, 80.2%, work in businesses in Broward county
- Close proximity to Tampa, Orlando and Miami via major Interstates, I-75, I-95 and I-595
- Year round tropical climate
- Broward county had a greater than Florida per capita income from 1997-1999, in 1993 it was 6th highest in the state
- Fortune 500 employers
- Low unemployment rate
- Minutes from National Car Rental Center, home of Florida Panthers and international performing artists, Sawgrass Mills Mall with world class shopping,
- Foreign Trade Zone
- World class hospital
- Three museums in the county
- Religious diversity with a blend of churches and synagogues
- Cultural Events including Celebrity Golf tournament and regional Arts festival
- Local Town Center with hometown shopping, social and cultural events gathering area
- Well planned bike and walking trails providing access to all areas of the city
- Numerous recreational parks, with local YMCA coming in 2002
- Leading industry financial and investment presence
- Access to populations of 1.6 million people (half hour driving distance) and 5 million people (hour driving distance)
- Part of the InternetCoast, the original birthplace of the IBM PC and becoming well recognized as a worldwide hub for Internet-related businesses
- A forward-thinking Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with Clark County Chamber of Commerce, supporting both South East and South West businesses
- Active Weston Area Chamber of Commerce promoting local, regional, national and international economic growth
- Regular participation and involvement of Weston Mayor and city commissioners in Weston Area Chamber of Commerce events
- Numerous Chamber memberships, including charter membership in Enterprise Florida
- Internet expansion including additional Chamber services sites and three Job services Web sites